We would like to explain, also to non-experts, some common definitions about the Cloud world, to help you understand relevant information.
In this post we will illustrate types and services related to the Cloud. We will only mention some of them, of course.
In the next posts about "Cloud Terminology" we will include also Cloud providers and important themes related to the Cloud.
Types of Cloud
Let's start with Cloud types. There are a lot of definitions and typologies of Cloud modalities, here are the most common ones:
- IAAS when the whole infrastructure is in Cloud. The most relevant advantage is the abolition of hardware and physical maintenance costs.
- Hybrid Cloud is present when only some activities are externalized using dedicated Cloud server, while physically in the company hardware servers are still persistent.
- Multicloud means the adoption of multiple Cloud environments and infrastructures that can be mixed between public Cloud providers. The advantage is a mix of costs related to the differentiation of services.
- SAAS when software or applications are in Cloud, for instance, the email service. This is the most reduced unit of Cloud externalization and it can be a first step towards a cloud-based business transformation.
- PAAS means the migration of a platform to the Cloud. A typical scenario can be a platform for the development and the distribution of Web Apps. This solution reaches the need of having a Cloud platform for developers that also allows to distribute the resulting technology.
Related to the previously mentioned Cloud types, here are some Cloud services. These services are possible actions that can be taken thanks to the Cloud adoption and they can lead to business advantages and IT advantages to reach more data security.
- Cloud Storage
The use of Cloud for storage, backup, sharing and synchronization of data with full security.
This service allows to access stored data, thanks to Backup Cloud systems (an example is our backup software, download it for free).
The creation of a virtual entity in Cloud that simulates physical hardware, such as servers.
The virtualization creates related benefits for the business, for instance, the transformation of the office into a digital and smart workplace (find out more about our Smart Office solution). The result is a virtualized infrastructure, with virtual desktops and no hardware, except devices to visualize the virtual desktop, like tablets, smartphones, thin clients or laptops.
- Cloud Migration
The process of transfer of physical hardware and their data to the Cloud world. This service must be planned and managed by specialized IT and Cloud technicians. An high quality Cloud migration services results as invisible to the business that can continue operating and maintaining business continuity, with no interruption.